[lbo-talk] Howard Stern: Flaming Leftist?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 26 08:31:50 PST 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> How is that different form, say, the sixties? Was not dope smoking,
> hideously ugly clothing, and the concerts on a mass scale a distraction
> and diversion from mass organizing? If the 1960s "hippie" movement
> transformed itself into a political movement instead goofing down into
> over-the-counter culture and identity politics, the x-tian right
> marching in goose step would not be such a threat today.

Thanks god for distractions from mass organizing! Activism could certainly use more of that good ole 60s hedonistic spirit. I don't know why anybody thinks that people would join a movement dominated by vegan ascetics. ;-)

Yeah, the apolitical aspects of 60s counterculture sucked in some ways, but every upswing in radical politics in the U.S. has been accompanied by a similar upswing in oppositional radical culture. If we are going to diss the 60s, we might as well diss the radical working class counterculture of the 1920s and 30s. If we are going to throw out Woodstock and pot, let's throw out modern art, jazz, and the Wobbly "Little Red Songbook." Hippies suck? Those Wobbly bums and tramps sucked too!

Chuck0