[lbo-talk] gibson, missionaries, shrub's distraction

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Feb 26 16:57:35 PST 2004

Well said Carrol. These terms are highly offensive. Whenever I see the term "redneck" I picture some of the people I've known who fit that description. People who work outdoors all their lives. A few of them are arseholes, but many are not. "Redneck" is an ignorant form of class abuse, used by people who think they are in a class above those who work outdoors. But in fact they are not, either in the sense of being in a different economic class, or in the sense of being intellectually superior. Use of the term is merely evidence that you are an ignorant wanker.

As for "white trash", it is obviously a term of abuse used by racists. I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole and I'm always embarrassed to hear other people use it, because of what it implies about them.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas