[lbo-talk] gibson, missionaries, shrub's distraction

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Thu Feb 26 22:08:17 PST 2004

Ayup. Welp, Carrol bin actin' like he's feelin' peaked lately. I figger he jiss loss all grain of sense if'n only momentarly. Donno Carrol, it still be a might quair you'n fergit my heritage. Giss I'm a might hurt. <sniff>

The rest o' you'n bin gone snipe huntin'. I bin ta two country fairs an' a goat ropin' but ain't nuthin had me so 'muzed as this heayah. Donno whether to wind ma watch or spit.

Reminds me o' that thar time I met ma half-brother Delmar fo' the firs' time. He bein' from Kaintucky an' myah bein' from the appalachin hills o' New Yoke wen'ovah like a hair in a biskit. He was dang sho I was gonner be one o' them thar artsy fartsy snobs. Ayup.

Now, I dinna know ma half brother 'til I wuz growed coz my daddy marry Delmar's mamma when she was jiss 13 and he were 17. Daddy hadta marry Delmar's mama coz he bigged her right good when he was on leave from th'army. They done split tha blanket when Delmar wuz only 9 months ol'. Ayup.

We met up years later atta family gatherin'. I sez, by cracky Delmar, I's a redneck jiss like you. Coz you know yore a redneck when thar's fishin' poles in yore'n gun rack an' a shotgun unna the seat. We lafft so hard tellin' redneck jokes on one'tother, Delmar's mama reckoned we was tetched.

</channeling graindaddy>

cain 'magine the outrage when you'n heard queers call themselves queers.

Swinging the lezbean phallus,

As for Curtiss and others on the topic of xtian culture warz:

At 12:31 PM 2/26/2004, Curtiss Leung wrote:
>Mike:
>
> > I disagree; I think this is good news for Our Side; the
> > culture wars, with a little adroit handling, are a battle
> > the liberals and the "left" can't lose. I'm usually Mr.
> > Pessimism, but I think Bush has really stepped in it here.
>
>I'm not sure what Kelly meant there,

answered Woj who also misunderstood. it was a conservative initiated distraction intended to occupy the right, so they'd stop thinking about things like Iraq and the economy.

IOW, I think it was a calculated stepping in it. The amendment can't get anywhere. It's only the hardcore jiss christians and rabid homo-haters that think otherwise.

So, what's at stake for Shrub? Absolutely nothing. It can easily be dropped like a hot potato as soon as its convenient. It's not going to get off the ground any time soon and even if that happened, it still takes years to accomplish the feat.

What does Shrub get out of lookin' like he opened his tater trap too soon? He's just made sure that those who've been questioning foreign and/or economic policies will trun their attention elsewhere. The folks who've been getting disgusted with Shrub are probably people who can't bear the thought of voting for a lib'r00l and they can't bring themselves to bother to vote for Shrubya.

The rebpulicans can't afford to lose _any_ of their constituency to apathy. So, they took a calculated risk to piss off some of their more tenuous supporters anyway, and play the queer card to make sure their base would get to the polls, figuring that this would be an issue that would light a fire under their asses--at least 2/3 - 3/4 of them anyway.

At 09:18 AM 2/26/2004, John Lacny wrote:
>It's especially intriguing that fundamentalist Protestants are attracted
>to this movie, since it is Catholic through-and-through, though in exactly
>the pre-Vatican II sort of way that we would expect from reading about
>Gibson's own belief system. Protestants have no tradition of Passion Plays
>or of the Stations of the Cross <...>

Fascinating! I hadn't really thought of this--how the passion plays are a catholic tradition, not a protestant one.

I was puzzling over reports here (tampa bay area) that people are coming out of the film, fervently declaring their devout faith in xtianity. "Look what he did! Look at what he suffered!" I'd also heard that xtians are using the film as an opportunity to draw members to their church.

Indeed, there was a hilarious impromptu skit on the local rap station's drive time program. I about wet myself laughing at the imagery they invoked: people sitting in the theater, munching popcorn, sipping coca cola icees, and passing the collection plate while holy rollers testify in the aisles and balcony.

It puzzled me how people could be so moved by a film, and then I read about the pornographic violence. Given the lack of famliarity with the catholic iconography of a suffering christ, it's probably pretty moving for people.

Are others hearing of these reports of conversion? Of people leaving the theater weeping, professing their undying commitment to christ and all that hoohah. I drove past the nearest theater, apparently arround the time folks would be leaving the latest showing. I was hounded by 5 people asking if I'd seen the movie and was handed a leaflet that asked if I was a sinner.

There was more about how Heysooz is your savior, but you have to be willing to surrender your life to 'im. It was signed by 15 churches, each of whom invited the sinners to show up at their church.

Kelley