[lbo-talk] a right-wing howler

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 12:38:43 PST 2004

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is a Scaife-owned rag that publishes nothing on its editorial page apart from stuff so reactionary that it would probably have a hard time making the cut at the Wall Street Journal. Today there's an op-ed from one Michelle Malkin, described as "a syndicated columnist [and] author of 'Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals, and Other Foreign Menaces to Our Shores.'" It is a harangue -- brought on by Charlize Theron's "Monster," about serial killer Aileen Wuornos -- about how Hollywood keeps giving Oscars to anti-death penalty movies. Malkin produces one of the most preposterously funny lines I have ever read in a rightist screed (and I have read a lot):

"That is why Susan Sarandon won an Oscar for 'Dead Man Walking,' but Charles Bronson never got a nod for 'Death Wish.'"

Charles Bronson deserving an Oscar. The Onion couldn't make this shit up.

On that note, though, has anyone ever seen the movie where Bronson portrays Jock Yablonsky? Something tells me there's good reason why it's never included on the short list of great labor films . . .

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!