[lbo-talk] hip-hop worldwide

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 27 12:43:58 PST 2004

Arash:

Thanks for the very informative posting. I will save it for future reference.

However, I suspect that you tend to stretch the concept of "rap" quite a bit - to cover virtually forms of music with African roots. I understand the "pan-africanist" and "traditionalist" ideology behind it, quite common in many sub-Sharan countries, but I doubt the usefulness of it.

As I already said, my contacts with rap come mainly through the US mass marketed culture aka "gangsta rap." I have to admit that I am not a fan of this genre (even though I do recognize its connections to other genres with African roots e.g. reggae which I enjoy) and my knowledge of it is limited. I also made it clear that I do not criticize a particular music genre, but a particular life style that prevails in the US.

Any form of passive aggressive behavior towards others, be it blasting noise (ANY music, including classical, but also revving engines), taking over other people's personal space, intimidation, verbal assaults etc. is of course unacceptable, but hardly uncommon. What I find particularly disingenuous, however, is that people who normally condemn such behavior (cf. feminist critique of male dominance of everyday life), find it perfectly acceptable or even fun, if it done by their own thugs. I cannot even imagine what outcry would be cause by, say, a country-and-western band singing about killing faggots and bitches - but that suddenly becomes very cool when a hip hop or a punk band sings it.

Again, I recognize the difference between music and its use - the Nazis playing classical music in concentration camps to drown the cries of gassed people certainly does not discredit the classical music. I feel however, that certain folks on this list fail to make that distinction and consider ANY use of the music they like acceptable. A hoodlum blasting obnoxious noise from his SUV is just "enjoying his groove." How is that different from, say, US imperial storm troopers blasting their music at the Iraqis?

Wojtek