[lbo-talk] No more PC (Was gibson, missionaries, shrub's distraction)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:33:08 PST 2004

Boys and girls,

Can we stop with the PC language police nonsense? It's tedious. It's embarrassing. It makes us look ridiculous. It's a self-caricature. It does not advance the cause of social justice one inch to have people on the left reproving each other about not saying things that might conceivably offend someone. I don't mind going hammer and tongs after proven right wingers, reactionaries, and racists who language that is demeaning, but the rural working class, or whatever delicate phrase you want to describe the group of people about whom we must circumloquate here -- they call themselves "rednecks," last I heard; at least they did in Virginia when I growing up, and they do here in Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio -- is not going to feel one whit better about pointy headed left wing intellectuals for your supposed defense of their wounded sensibilities against other but supposedly insensitive PHLWI. Us they call "faggots," and not in a friendly way.

jks