[lbo-talk] gibson, missionaries, shrub's distraction

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Feb 27 16:13:21 PST 2004

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:47:10 -0600 From: John Thornton <jthorn65 at mchsi.com>

I don't recall anyone writing that they used to live in n-wordtown or some such equally offensive phrase that would have been comparable to the below characterization of a rural working class area as redneck. Perhaps you could forward it since I missed it? Or perhaps you mean that regardless of context the word cannot be used by white people at all? Self criticism is all well and good but maybe the rest of rural working class NY doesn't wished to be referred to in such a racist and classist manner while she's doing it.

John Thornton

^^^^^^^ CB: Used comparable to the characterization of a rural working class _area_ as "redneck" is not the only way that white, leftists shouldn't use it. White leftist will likely lose all ability to unite with hardly any Black people for struggle if they use the word so freely and easily. In other words, pace Justin, white leftists should be pc in their usage of it. Only use it in private with your close Black friends who are cool with you , or whatever. Rappers have not created a general license for white people to use the word inoffensibly. There's a lot of criticism among Black people of rappers for using it.

As to exacltly how it was used, its in posts from the last week or so. I thought of it at the time but I didn't say anything at the time.

As I say, I tend to defer to Kelley's judgment on the "r"word, as she has for a long time reported that as _part_ or her identity, as opposed to most others here. I think it's alright for people to discuss it with her,( and a number of worthwhile ideas have been put on the thread by Kelley and others) but I don't think they should be scolding her, rather discussing it in a comradely manner.

On the self-criticism, by using it and discussing it, Kelley may contribute toward ways of communicating with "rural working class" folks politically. How does anyone here really know that Kelley doesn't use it ( and the whole lingo she used on this thread)in an entirely appropriate manner with rural w.c. folks _and_ make better political "contact" thereby.