[lbo-talk] RE: hip hop world wide

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Feb 27 22:27:53 PST 2004

The way I see hip hop (and I claim no expertise) -- it's like the balladeers in the middle ages -- a kind of universal ongoing collage and melding of forms. No other form, so far as I can see, is playing that role -- not jazz and not "classical music" by definition. But I think one day "classical music" when it looks back on its roots, it will find them in hip hop, tango, and other ethnic dance forms in the same way that Bach looks back to the countless, often anonymous composers of chaconnes, bourees, gigues...etc.

Joanna