[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 28 06:37:45 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?
>mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com, Fri Feb 27 23:55:18 PST 2004
>
>from a post on Left Hook by a michael schwartz. I was wondering
>about this myself. I posted stuff about it here and elsewhere, and
>no one seemed to give a fuck. No wonder they (we) lost.
>
>"It broke my heart to see how uninvolved the left was in this
>strike. When I go to a Mumia demonstration of 200 people every left
>group is there. When 59,000 workers are mobolized on 500 picket
>lines throughout Southern California the left is nowhere to be seen.
>Has it really come to this? In the 1930s the left was synonymous
>with the working class. I know we're small today, I know we can't
>dictate what happens in these struggles. But I met workers in this
>fight who are true fighters. Tens of thousands of them stuck it out
>for 140 fucking days!!!!! It was the longest strike in Southern
>California since World War Two. We always talk about how one day the
>workers will stand up and fight. Then...when it actually happens we
>act like it's a story that belongs on the last page of the paper.
>Workers throughout Southern California were tlaking about this
>strike and I know workers elsewhere were as well."

Solidarity comrades were involved in support for the California grocery workers' strike, but Solidarity members don't announce their presence as a "left group" of supporters distinct from other supporters, so few would know their presence by looking at rallies and picket lines.

A good deal of action alerts and articles about the strike have been posted to the marxism list (moderated by Louis Proyect): e.g., <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w45/msg00035.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w44/msg00192.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w48/msg00186.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w50/msg00285.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2003w50/msg00028.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2004w04/msg00219.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2004w01/msg00028.htm>, <http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2004w05/msg00212.htm>.

I've noticed the Green Party's involvement as well: e.g., <http://greens.org/cal/westside/hot_issues/>, <http://lists.cagreens.org/pipermail/dmr-annc-freq/2004-January/000049.html>, & <http://la.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/100748.php>.

The Solidarity members' listserv is available to members/subscribers only -- see below for the latest on the topic:

-- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>