[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 09:48:01 PST 2004

John Lacey: "I'm not sure what this guy's referring to when he talks about "the Left" not being there -- I guess it depends on how you define "the Left."

LA is the land of the celebrity leftist; they're not the "Left" per se, but some high profile appearances on the picket line and civil disobediences may have blown things open.

Also, where were all those liberal millionaries we keep reading about? How hard could it have been for a few of them to underwrite the strike fund, which would have helped workers keep their resolve?

Here in CT, most of the same people who march for Mumia or gay rights are nowhere to be seen when a picket line goes up.

Reluctantly, I have to conclude that Single Issue-ism is a huge problem, outside of a core of fiercely dedicated but hopelessly overworked activists (yes, that's a compliment to you, Yoshie), many of them from the ISO and other "sects" the rest of us like to denounce from home. So, yes, mea culpa.