[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Feb 28 10:00:05 PST 2004

Stephen E Philion wrote:
> mike larkin asked
> My criticism of the strike is why it didn't do mroe to fuck up the
> stores with those 59,000 workers? If Wal-Mart is the big problem, why
> weren't these workers doing civil disobedience at all the Wal-mart
> stores? What kind of morons were responsible for the strike strategy?
>

> --hmmm....and you were willing to help the walmart workers find new
> jobs when they were fired for their action of self-sacrifice? or you
> were willing to fork out the multimillion dollar fines on the union
> from a court when it was found out the union was involved in such
> actions?......

Actually, I wrote the above criticism.

I take it that you are against strikes and the idea of workers risking anything to make their lives better? Perhaps they should just write letters to the shareholders?

Shit, if the union can be fined that much money, then perhaps workers need unofficial unions that are free to take risks, engage in direct action, and actually *accomplish* something for workers.

Chuck0