[lbo-talk] LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 29 04:16:26 PST 2004

> Can someone tell me who has been doing more organizing,
> agitation and education regarding Colombia's situation in
> New York than the WWP in the last year?

New York, like the past, is something of a different country for me, so I can't speak for what goes on there. However, I do know that groups like USLEAP are doing the best work on this nationwide:

http://www.usleap.org/Colombia/ColombiaHome.html

You can download their "advocacy kit" on violence against Colombian workers from that page.

Global Exchange also does "reality tours" of Colombia.

So what kind of stuff does the WWP do on this issue? Keep people updated on which members of Congress sit on which key committees, in order to actually take on and defeat bills for continued US aid to Colombia? Organize tours of Colombia by rank-and-file trade union leaders, followed up by speaking tours to faith communities and unions in places where the "uninitiated" can be reached with the message?

Or do they perhaps hold 150-person rallies and 50-person forums attended solely by the usual suspects in the heart of New York City, where I'm sure it has the maximum effect?

- - - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!