[lbo-talk] RE: Savior of Color

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Feb 29 10:16:32 PST 2004

Jon writes: "Actually, the opera world is getting to be quite multi-racial/cultural in the mixing of various singers with various roles, as far as I can see."

Actually, the best Don Giovanni I've every seen featured two black (twin) singers in the roles of the Don and Leporello. This was the Peter Sellars production. However, it is still largely true that whites are cast in color roles, but not the other way around. Not as bad as the fifties and sixties, but still, hardly color blind.

Joanna