[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Feb 29 17:30:23 PST 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:37:16 -0600 Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> writes:
> rw wrote:
>
> > So if I get what you're saying, Chuck, your superfly anarchist,
> > decentralized, "democratic" way of organizing was incapable of
> dealing
> > with the wave of reaction that followed 9/11, while those evil
> reds and
> > their crusty old democratic centralism took the lead.
> >
> > You talk about what your group could have done. You talk about
> what the
> > grocery workers should have done. And you blame the reds for what
> you
> > didn't do. I have to conclude that you're nothing but a windbag.
>
> Alright! Another anonymous critic! Did my recounting of events
> discomfort you?
>
> Look, I'd like to know how many veteran organizers out there would
> have
> taken 9-11 in stride. As I pointed out, the professional activists
> got
> spooked by 9-11 and were ordered to punt the protests. This
> negatively
> effected what we were trying to do and it didn't help that the IAC
> authoritarian opportunists took advantage of the situation.
>
> If 9-11 hadn't happened, nobody would be flipping shit at anarchists
> for
> dissing ANSWER. I explained what we did as anarchists working with
> other
> peeps. We did much of the fucking organizing for the October 2001
> protests. We have little to show for it because of 9-11 and the
> WWP's
> opportunism.

If I were you Chuck, I would be reflecting upon why the WWP/IAC/ANSWER folk were able to adapt to the post/9-11 political climate while anarchists such as yourself were left adrift. You complain about WWP/IAC/ANSWER, and no doubt many of your criticisms of them are quite justified, and yet the bottom line is still that they were able to adapt to the post/9-11 world whereas you and your comrades could not. You, as an experienced organizer should be well aware that you have to be able to deal with the unexpected. Why is it, that the professional activists failed, why did the anarchists fail while the WWP types were able to carry on, when an unexpected event like 9-11 occured?

Jim F.