[lbo-talk] LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 29 20:35:54 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> What was "the Left" supposed to do? Write supportive editorials in
> Workers Vanguard and/or The Nation? Who is this Left anyway? Does it
> include other unions and the national AFL-CIO leadership? What did
> they do?

So Doug finally agrees with what I have been arguing for years. There is no "Left," only scattered leftists of varying perspectives, and the task of those leftists is not to act as what they are not, The Left, but to work towards the creation of a Left.

It follows that all criticism of "The Left" on lbo-talk has been unprincipled.

Carrol