[lbo-talk] Doug in Toronto (was: something else)

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 29 21:43:23 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 8:18 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: Guardian on Miliband

Ha. I like Toronto a lot. And the weather cooperated too. Didn't see any public potsmoking, but there were plenty of homos around - and the Toronto Hemp Company (THC), which offered everything hemp-related but the smokable stuff. And of course there's all the Canadian content - the Second Cup (which is like Starbucks only Canadian), the Golden Griddle (which is like IHOP, only Canadian), Timothy's (which is like Starbucks only Canadian)....

For the record... I suspect that in relative terms, there is way more pot being smoked here in Winnipeg than in Toronto. In any event, the coffee at the Second Cup absolutely sucks, so does the coffee at Timothy's (which is even worst that SC). Both are here in Winnipeg and I ignore them. And the Golden Griddle probably has the worst food I've ever tasted, and it stinks up the neighbourhood like you wouldn't believe. There was a nice place on the corner across from the CIBC at the corner of Carlton and Wellesley. Is it still there? Their coffee was tolerable. Nevertheless, when thoroughly baked any of these are close to paradise. Esp. the Golden Griddle, God Bless them for being open 24 hours. Their ice cream isn't too bad. I trust it was the Griddle across from the now defunct Maple Leaf Stadium? Wow... I haven't been to Toronto in a year and a half. I hope to return to defend the dissertation in a few months. I don't plan on visiting any of those places, baked or not. Some of the used bookstores are superb.

ken

ps. since it has now been made public, as of July 1, I'm Assistant Professor MacKendrick, Department of Religion, University of Manitoba.... we're all very happy for me.