[lbo-talk] Re: "master's tools" (was po-mo prince)

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Jan 1 19:07:21 PST 2004

--

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~tewing/2003_03_23_singlesa.html

THE MONOCHROME SET – “The Jet Set Junta”

Short, witty, and sharply cut, this is my idea of a good ‘political’ song, which I’m told we need more of right now. Like an editorial cartoon, it makes its point, jogs the memory, and raises a grim smile, and it’s over in two pert minutes of jangles, organ riffs and crisp singing. You could say – maybe you could even sing – “the collusion between our establishments and dictators is all the more invidious for having a social element” – but the Monochrome Set do it more elegantly and catchily. ”Vroom vroom goes the armoured Cadillac through Montevideo / Rat-a-tat go the submachineguns to restore the status quo / Snip snip go the tailor’s scissors on a suit at Saville Row.” Elegance may be somewhat of a luxury, though – the song was not a hit.

--

THE JET SET JUNTA

Tick, tock, go the death-watch beetles in el presidente's swill Pop, pop, goes the Cliqout magnum at the reading of the will Hiss, hiss, goes the snakeskin wallet, stuffed with Cruziero bills

(chorus) Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta

Vroom, vroom, goes the armoured Cadillac through Montevideo Rat-a-tat go the sub-machine guns to restore the status quo Snip, snip, go the tailors' scissors on the suit at Saville Row

(chorus) Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta

Thud, thud, goes the rubber truncheon on the Indian peon's heel Buzz, buzz, go the brass electrodes, as the flesh begins to peel Rattle, rattle, goes the bullet, round and round the roulette wheel

(chorus) Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta Here we come, the Jet Set Junta

--

--

/ dave /