[lbo-talk] productivity and profits

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Sat Jan 3 01:01:08 PST 2004

Doug Henwood writes, per why (I hope I have this right) regular capitalist development should lead to some ameliorating effects for US workers:

<< Relentless commodification of everything - and as Ursula Huws argues, the commodification of the domestic sphere has been a rich playground for capital over the last century - means more paid workers. >>

Sure, but not in the 21st century United States, where the vast majority have been part of the wage labor-commodity nexus for some time. Unemployed and underemployed workers are still among "paid" workers, in that they have little option beyond selling their labor power. Seen many independent yeoman producers lately? And even the truly awe-inspiring marketing geniuses of the US of A are running out of "domestic sphere" to commodify. The US, most definitely including its human capital (such a perfect phrase), all but defines "mature market."

Yes, the US economy is still huge, but its day as capitalism's ever-accelerating engine of growth is long gone. The future lies elsewhere, at least should capitalism run its course (with the caveat Marx didn't have to deal with: assuming human existence isn't destroyed altogether). To my view, the role of the contemporary US (and the Bushies seem to agree with me) is to be capitalism's enforcer. This is an important and necessary role. It will probably send the US straight down the shitter (maybe sooner, maybe later), but somebody has to do it. And while an exploited, insecure, fearful, purposely ignorant population may not make for the ideal capitalist growth medium, it's sure good for producing people who are ready to jump behind "their" army as it kicks serious butt. And to sacrifice and to work harder. And to keep consuming at least at current levels, even if that's getting harder to do.

Ever get the idea that, right now, a working class that flexed its muscles in the United States would have world-historical effects orders of magnitude beyond anything that could be produced elsewhere? And that the ruling class knows it, even if they know little else? And that, even if contemporary US free-market-Paradise capitalism can't keep an electric grid working; and provides health "care" through the most maniacally stupid, bureaucratic and inefficient system imaginable; and arrests child "terrorists" because it can't make a database that cross-references names to dates of birth; that this system is still wondrously efficient at making damn sure that the aforementioned working-class muscle-flexing *will not* happen? And that the seemingly debilitating lower-wage, lower-security, lower-employment, higher-exploitation model in fact fits such a society very well, and barring an internal challenge should pretty much continue the way it is? I do.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:07:40 -0500