[lbo-talk] RE: Forgiving Iraq's debt

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Sat Jan 3 23:26:11 PST 2004

joanna bujes wrote:
> Kevin writes:
>
> "Anyone care to speculate why countries who were against this war are so
> quick to forgive debt?"
>
> Well, for the forseable future, it seems to be a win-win move. I mean,
> given the shape the country is in and will be in for a while, there is
> NO money to pay back anything anyway. So, if they forgive debts, 1) they
> do well by the U.S., which I'm sure is twisting some arms; and 2) they
> do well by whatever Iraqi govt comes to power for being supportive in
> Iraq's hour of need.
>
> Joanna

Well, why not? If the US is going to be the government who not only ousted the leader, but took up the task of being its Government, then why not have them inherit that debt? I mean, isn't that what always happens to new governments, when the old one gets voted out/overthrown/ect?