[lbo-talk] "One Palestine, Complete"

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 10:48:44 PST 2004

I just finished this book by Israeli historian Tom Segev, on Palestine between the world wars, and I thought it was terrific. Has anyone else read it? The anti-Semitic origins of the Balfour Declaration, and Segev's arguement that British policy was always pro-Zionist, were most astonishing.

He makes a strong case that the British had no real strategic interest in Palestine; they just sort of bumbled in and couldn't figure out how to get out. Sound familiar?

Great book, anyway. Friend of mine who teaches Jewish history told me it was hugely controversial in Israel.