[lbo-talk] Re: "One Palestine, Complete"

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Sun Jan 4 14:22:13 PST 2004

Chuck Grimes

> Any dirt anybody can add to Leo [Strauss's] activities in the Zionist
> organizations of the Weimar period---please feel free to contribute.

Leo Strauss was not just a regular Zionist -- as Chuck suggests, Strauss thought that labour Zionism was weak tea. He was, at least for a time, attracted to the extreme "revisionist" Zionism of Vladimir Jabotinsky. Strauss mentioned this once in one of his autobiographal essays (the introduction to the reprint of his first book, on Spinoza, if I remember correctly). But I haven't come across anything that talks about this at any length -- what we really need is a good intellectual biography of Strauss -- alas, his disciples are adverse to that sort of analysis, and none of his critics have done the necessary spade work. If I had a smart graduate student that knew German, I would get them working on Strauss's bio. Jeet