Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Epithet 'fascist'

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 15:52:34 PST 2004

--- Hari Kumar <hari.kumar at sympatico.ca> wrote: - I am
> frankly no wiser. F - I guess. Not that I at any
> rate, expected much
> wisdom from Eco, but at least I tried!

Well, I guess Eco isn't a TRULY cultured person like, say, Enver Hoxa, so we shouldn't expect too much from him. He's just a dumb ole bourgeois intellectual from a bourgeois country like Italy. If we want real intellectual nourishment, we need only listen to old broadcasts from Radio Tirana.

But
> in any case, the
> original attack seems to me to be much 'sour grapes'
> at the WWP.

I pointed you to a website that expresses my problems with WWP. Read it and you may come to understand why many activists hate WWP.

Have for instance,
> the WWP violated democratic norms of functioning
> wihtin any UF set-up?

Yes.

> Have they rpevented speakers/candidates/opposing
> viewpoints within a UF?

Yes.

> If so that is important to highlight, although
> again, whether that is
> "fascist shit" needs to be substantied in my view.

I corrected my statement. They are authoritarian shits.

> Mr Eco's
> over-wrought-'intellectualism' brings no especial
> insights to me I
> regret.

Unfortunately, I dont think he has written on the subject of UF, so that doesn't surprize me. Go read his countryman, Togliatti.

In passing, I would like to register my
> agreement with jks
> regarding right of legal defence.

EVERYONE so far has been in agreement that Saddam deserves legal representation. Some think that it is politically unwise for Ramsey Clark to defend him, since this latter is so closely associated with the anti-war movement. Since it has been resolved that Saddam should be have legal representation, why dont people discuss the issue of Ramsey Clark?

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"