[lbo-talk] Clark/SH

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 16:15:41 PST 2004

--- andie nachgeborenen
> Politically, I agree with Tom S that there seem
> something off about Clark representing Saddam, but
> it
> is hard to say what it is. jks

Look, if this were all happening in a course on logic, there would be no problem. Nobody could put forth the following in a logic class:

Ramsey Clark is a prominent member of the anti-war mvmt and even associated with a group that sympathizes with Ba'athists

Ramsey Clark is defending Saddam Hussein

Ergo The anti-war mvmt are all defenders and sympathizers of Saddam Hussein.

Of course the above syllogism is ridiculous. But, it is just this kind of argument- in different terms- that the Right will use to launch a smear campaign against the anti-war movement. Will such a smear campaign work? I dont know. Maybe. I mean, look at how the power of association has worked so far in their smear campaigns.

So, morally speaking, I have nothing against Clark defending Saddam. Politically speaking, I think it is a huge error.

-Thomas