[lbo-talk] re Clark/SH

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Jan 4 21:16:06 PST 2004

WWP's contacts in Iraq were Ba'athists and they've defended the regime, no?

--well, yes, they were in contact with the Baathists, it's hard to know how any work could be done in Iraq otherwise. They defended the regime against an invasion of the US, I believe that is correct. I don't recall the WWP having a great affection for the politics of Saddam or the Baathists or any opinion on the people of Iraq deciding how to deal with what was *their* problem of how to get rid of Saddam or with whom to replace him. I think that's different from Seay or other's claim that they 'supported the Baathists"... now, if one takes the saddam hussein regime to be the moral equivalent of Hitler or worse or believed him to be a military threat to the US, I can see how one might have bones to pick with Clarke. Otherwise, I'm not sure I buy the need to attack Clarke for what seems quite rational a position.

steve