[lbo-talk] Re: we don't need "them"

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 5 13:09:43 PST 2004

frank scott wrote:

>"... I admit that Ramsey would be one of the best for exposing some of
>the US machinations as concerns Iraq. But you better believe that there
>
>will be a smear campaign against Ramsey Clark if he is chosen."
>
>it's already in full swing...here, on "the weft"...

I know I've already said that Saddam Hussein is entitled to a fair trial, which includes the right to legal counsel and defense. But it occurs to me that maybe we ought to have some fun with this-- say, by starting a movement to demand that Saddam Hussein act as his _own_ defense attorney. "Let Saddam Be Saddam" might be a fine battle-cry, along with demands for live, translated broadcasts of his trial, just to watch the spectacle of the dictator _fighting for his very life_, heh heh heh.

And we could easily turn this into a means of denouncing people like Clark. Why would they want to give the guy a _lawyer_? Because they want _justice_? Nahh-- Saddam ran a whole country for thirty years. He ought to be able to handle a simple _trial_. No, we say, people like Clark want him to get a lawyer because they don't want truth or justice to be done... and they want to deprive us of the lovely spectacle of Saddam melting down in a court of law.