RES: RES: [lbo-talk] Recent Growth & Bush's Economic Policy

kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net
Thu Jan 1 18:15:56 PST 2004

At 4:11 PM -0200 27/12/03, Alexandre Fenelon wrote:
> [...]

I don't think that "countries with less exposure to external trade are also less dependent on foreigners to obtain these goods" applies as a general rule. In any case, in the present period, all countries are more and more exposed to external trade. Then, there's also the question of leading edge technology, etc. Thus, whether or not exposed to external trade, there are only a few firms in the world from which one can purchase, e.g. pcr equipment or sequencing technology. Ditto the family of ICT goods. And these are usually priced in USD, and in a world market at exchange rates. E.g., Dell's low-end computers sell in the US at, say, USD800, and in Malaysia for around RM3,000 -- compare that to GDP/cap at local currencies.

As for crisis followed by sharp recovery -- part of that, maybe a good part, is just a statistical thing. But in this day and age, when change comes fast and furious, a crisis may also be reflective of a change in the world deployment of capital, and unless you are in the 'transnational elite' or some such like, you will likely find, as a country/region, that it's suddenly harder to make a living. To a large degree, I think that's what's happened in SE Asia, including Singapore whose currency was minimally affected by the 1997-98 financial crisis.

kj khoo