[lbo-talk] Re: people in glass cages shouldn't...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 6 10:01:07 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The concept of "monsters" is a mental block that prevents us from
> analyzing the history of Iraq in particular and the nature of
> political power in a modern state in general. The approach we we
> want is a combination of historical materialism and concepts such as
> "the banality of evil" developed by Hannah Arendt.

It is also a term which is always applied in a selective fashion. The use of the term for Sadaam would be more acceptable if those using it would show clear recognition that William McKinley and Jimmy Carter were far more efficient and dangerous "monsters" than a Sadaam could ever have hoped to be. By any measure, including the death toll inflicted.

And yet no one on this list is raving about those supporters of monsters who voted for Carter in '76.

Carrol