[lbo-talk] re Hitch's crime spree

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 6 12:08:34 PST 2004

Stephen Philion wrote:

> it deserves to be co-opted.
> I'd buy a few Vanity Fairs if they shuttled Hitch across the US in a
> campaign against these damn smoking bans.
>
> --watch out what ya wish for. he'd probably blame the smoking bans on the
> anti-war movement...

See "My Own Private Bad-Air Day: Outdoor data underrate pollutant exposure," _Science News_ (Jan. 3,2004), p. 4. "According to the lapel sensors, the median personal exposure to benzene was 3.2 micrograms per cubic meter, where as outdoor and indoor concentrations were 1.3mg/m3 and 1.9mg/m3, respectively. Lifelong exposure to 1.3 mg/m3 of benzene in air is considered enough to cause 10 cancers in a million people, whereas 3.2mg/m3 would correspond to 25 cancers." Sources of benzene are gasoline (esp. when you pump your own or are caught in traffic), cigarette smoke, and cleaning products (home cleaning fluids and on dry cleaned clothing). The subjects of the research were all themselves non-smokers.

Carrol