[lbo-talk] Re: people in glass cages shouldn't...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:02:38 PST 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Aside from that Saddam Hussein is "secular," "pitiless," and
>>"ruthless," "created and backed by the West," you don't learn
>>anything about the Ba'ath Party in particular or Iraq in general
>>from the above sound bites by Ali and Chomsky. That's the nature of
>>sound bites, you see.
>
>Fucking hell, no on pretended that this was a full analysis. You got
>on your high horse about the application of the word "monster" to SH
>and I'd merely said that that was exactly the language that Chomsky
>and Ali used. I know it'd be hard for you to concede that. The
>quotes both come from long (25 min) interviews that include analyses
>as detailed as you'd want in a radio program.
>
>Doug

Americans on the right are satisfied that Saddam Hussein is a pitiless and ruthless Monster; Americans on the left know a little more -- Saddam Hussein is a pitiless and ruthless secular Monster, created and backed by the West -- but they seldom go further than that. What's missing on both sides is an analysis of Iraq itself -- its history, social relations, political factions, etc. I'd expect Ali to have more to say about it than Chomsky does. What does Ali have to say about it in the program that he has not said in _The Clash of Fundamentalisms_ and _Bush in Babylon_? What have you learned? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>