[lbo-talk] Re: people in glass cages shouldn't...

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:28:04 PST 2004

What a lot of lefties have trouble admitting is that even enemies of the U.S. can be awful.

--I don't have any problem with stating that. I do have a problem with assuming that US invasion of 'enemy' nations has anything to do with the extent of human rights abuses in said nations 1) and/or 2) that the other justifications for invasions or other forms of aggression against said nations are legitimate. And I think that we are not obliged to go along with every claim about our enemies that our government feeds us or is accepted as unquestionable by the media. The us has a long history of making up all kinds of nonsense about its enemies to justify aggression. --------------------------------------------------------------------- I'd guess also that the cumulative death toll for SH's regime is a lot higher than most of the regimes you list.

--dunno, I know most of the horrors occurred in the contexts of wars that our own government supported or contributed to, which I think should be the focus of Americans' attention. Then of course there was the sanctions, utterly inexcusable, not to mention the illegal bombings throughout the 90's....not to mention the post-invasion occupation era thousands of deaths...

------------------------------------------------------------------------ As Tariq Ali said, "On the left, he's been hated for ages."

--well yes, he was, as are the turkish , uzbeki, egyptian, etc. rulers...This is something that a Chomsky or Ali make clear in their writings, but goes unnoticed in the mainstream discourse of monsterism...thus my claim that they really don't buy into the discourse of monsterism...even when they use the word monster to describe a Saddam.