[lbo-talk] Re: Eyewitness in Tikrit

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jan 6 18:17:46 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Richard Burkholder was quoted as saying:

> Furthermore, a substantial 85% of Baghdad's residents said they agree
> with the assertion that "some people believe if the U.S. were to pull
> out its troops any time soon, Iraq will fall into anarchy." Just 11%
> said they disagree with this assessment.

I'm a big fan of your Burkholder interview. I was very impressed by how seriously he had thought through the problems of trying to canvass people's opinion in such a situation and the subtlety and directness of the various means by which he and his team had tried to come to terms with them. So I was wondering if something got elided in the sentence above. Because as stated, it sounds like trick question -- that it doesn't actually tell you what people think, but what they think "some" people think. Almost a push-poll question.

Michael