[lbo-talk] re beijing report

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 7 08:30:48 PST 2004

TS wrote: Many of the taxi-drivers come from the capital-poor, devastated countryside. They are, as one cabbie put it, "slaves to the Communist Party", forced by conditions to sell their labor so cheaply.

--that's odd, i recall most in beijing were beijingers, taxi cab companies were set up as a public jobs project for Beijing laid off State factory workers (and, of course, a chance for grand exploitation and corruption).

After about an hour, I finally reach the tomb of the great leader.

--I'd recommend taking a bus or subway next time. Could never understand the idea of taking a cab ride if the goal was to find out what the average beijinger experienced in their daily lives.

steve