[lbo-talk] State-run oil company is being weighed for Iraq, By Chip Cummins, Wall Street Journal

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Jan 7 11:33:51 PST 2004

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Michael Pugliese wrote:

>> No oil yet for blood.
>
> A remarkable story. I was going to post it, but the text is on this
> site. Stunning, really, and a reversal of all the early signals. I
> wonder if the intention will survive.

i'm trying to figure out what the odds are that iraqis will allow the privatization of the oil industry later, despite what looks like chalabi's desire to do so as soon as he gets a chance. might this not have been really the only opportunity to force it through over the heads, so to speak, of the iraqi people?

conversely, it's not like big oil will not still make money dealing with an iraqi state oil company, right? the only catch i'm seeing is quotations from iraqis in the oil industry saying how they really don't need "help" putting the infrastructure back together, so maybe foreign contractor assistance will be minimal.

someone help me, here.