[lbo-talk] only in america: smokers liberation front

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Wed Jan 7 11:38:20 PST 2004

"...there is, as you recognize, a good deal of outrage over these smoking bans. I think many should be repealed, at the very least those affecting bars and clubs (often because they either serve meals or

are connected to a place that does)."

it's embarrassing to see my home town look so infantile, what with all the whining about smoking rights... the world doesn't come to an end when people don't smoke in bars and restaurants... most of california has had no smoking rules for what seems like ages now, and the same kind of end-of-the-world whining existed early on, but the only negative aspect of this ban has been the stench of smoking that comes from people standing in doorways...

if some really believe that smoking wherever and whenever we please, without regard to the rights of others, is some form of civli right , we ought to be outraged that we can't purge and urinate anywhere we like, without regard for others, since these are, at least, natural body functions without which we could not survive...

maybe hitchens or some other civil libertarian will take up this issue of oppression.

fs