[lbo-talk] Re:_NYT_pans_le_Carré_novel_

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 12:27:27 PST 2004

> Perhaps it was inevitable that some reviewers would
> resent that sort of social commentary appearing in
> what they thought was a Boy's Own Paper spy yarn.
> But although le Carré has always written about
> espionage and counter- espionage, those stimulating
> topics have always been the vehicle for his
> commentary on a more exciting subject - human
> nature. By the end of Absolute Friends, I felt
> affection and admiration for the seedy little agent
> whose squalid end was a parable of the United
> States' ruthless pursuit of worldwide hegemony. Even
> if its message were not true and important, Absolute
> Friends would be a fine novel.

I hope it's an improvement, Le Carre has seemed to me a bit at sea since at laest the fall of the Berlin Wall. I have not really liked anything that he has done since Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, truth be told. But he has always skewered Americans. The depiction of the CIA/DEA conflict on The Honorable Schoolboy is not, shall we say, flattering. jks