[lbo-talk] State-run oil company is being weighed for Iraq, By Chip Cummins, Wall Street Journal

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 7 12:31:22 PST 2004

[An astonishing suggestion, with a typical misrepresentation of Cockburn. Here's what he actually said, from a column eighteen months ago, entitled "The Reason Bush Wants Saddam's Head." --CGE]

"What's it all really about? We can dismiss the proclaimed reasons, starting with the "weapons of mass destruction" ... Remember, where the Middle East is concerned, everything revolves around oil ...

"Figure it. In the wake of 9/11 it becomes clear that Saudis, starting with Osama bin Laden, were at the heart of the attack, with some members of the ruling family probably involved or at least tacitly approving. Furthermore, America's local supervisors, the Saud dynasty, face increasing discontent. The Bush administration is led and advised by people trained by origin and business proclivity to see everything in terms of the availability and price of oil. Now Saudi Arabia is the world's 'swing producer,' meaning it controls the world price by either restricting or expanding supply. Would it not be rational in the wake of 9/11 to seek urgently other 'swing producer' options, and to see such an option in the form of Iraq? Iraq nationalized its own huge reserves back in 1972, taking control over sale and pricing. Either upon his own initiative, or conned by the United States, Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, thus setting Iraq on the path to utter ruin, and permitting the U.S., via sanctions, to control once more Iraq's oil exports, drastically restricting its supply..."