[lbo-talk] re: smoking makes you stupid?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 7 16:17:10 PST 2004

frank scott lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:51:24 -0800:

>none of the public bans on smoking deprive anyone of anything but a
>form of middle class, tobacco company propaganda induced
>i-want-what-i-want-whenever-i-want-it satisfaction...we are still
>able to smoke our brains out, in private, which is where we do other
>stuff that isn't allowed in public, without any whining or
>moralizing ...

Perhaps not for long, if you are a working-class renter:

***** Tobacco Control Journal 2000;9:201-205 (Summer)

Smoke knows no boundaries: legal strategies for environmental tobacco smoke incursions into the home within multi-unit residential dwellings

Robert L Kline

Tobacco Control Resource Center, Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Correspondence to: Robert L Kline, JD, Tobacco Control Resource Center, Northeastern University School of Law, 400 Huntington Avenue, 117 Cushing Hall, Boston, MA 02115, USA; Rkline at lynx.neu.edu

. . . This article examines regulatory and common law legal theories available to address the problem of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) incursion into the homes of non-smoking residents of multi-unit dwellings. Non-smoking residents may use existing state regulations, such as sanitary codes, as a mechanism for legal action to prevent or limit incursion of ETS into non-smokers' apartments or condominiums in multiple occupancy residential buildings. The advantage of this strategy is that it employs an administrative system for correction of health violations that is already in place and accepted. No legislative action is necessary; no new legal theory need be created. It merely involves an application of existing law and scientific knowledge to specific facts by a Board of Health (the Board). . . .

<http://www.tcsg.org/sfelp/kline.htm> ***** -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>