[lbo-talk] the plasticity of "race"

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 01:25:17 PST 2004

Yes. I never really appreciated how arbitrary the concept of "race" is until I came to Russia, where there is no concept of "race" per se. Instead, there is "nationality," which is understood in terms of cultural background, not skin color of all weird things. Whereas Americans divide people into White, Black, Latino, Asian and "other," Russian citizens have about 150 or so distinct groups, which again can be regrouped into the more-inclusive categories of Slav, Caucasian, Siberian (Buryat, Chukchi), Asian (Tatar, Tajik, Bashkir etc.) and Central Russian (Chuvash etc.), plus I guess Jewish would be a category unto itself, and then if you want to talk about non-Russian citizens you would have "Westerners" and "everybody else," i.e. Africans, non-rossiskiye Asians etc. Really foreigners don't fit into people's conceptual framework at all; they are almost like extra-terrestrials.

After all "race" is a Western conceptual construct deriving mostly from rationalizing the slavery and subjugation of non-European peoples. The Russian Empire didn't import slaves; it had its own in the form of serfs.