[lbo-talk] The Claremont Institute: Utopia's Victims (Polemicagainst The Nation pwoggies, the gist.)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 04:52:51 PST 2004

>From: Jacob Segal <jpsegal at rcn.com>

>Before WWII?
>
>Jacob

Yes. He was the Glorious Vozhd' Building Communism. I get goosebumbs standing outside Moscow's Stalin buildings because they are so breath-taking; can you imagine what they must have looked like to a peasant from the countryside? "We're doing it! We're building a new civilization!" Thewhole country cried when Stalin died, 10% from joy and the rest from grief.

Of course attitudes toward Stalin are very different in different parts of the fSU; he's not exactly well-loved in Western Ukraine or the Baltics, for obvious reasons. In Georgia, he is God.

_________________________________________________________________ Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es