[lbo-talk] NPR Report Confirms 9000 Wounded Figure

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 07:48:43 PST 2004

Several months ago I posted a Veterans For Commonsense article which stated that, as of the time of writing, 7,500 American soldiers had been evacuated from Iraq due to serious injury or illness.

Raw URL -

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20031110/027339.html

Condensed URL -

http://tinyurl.com/36plp

Yesterday, a report from NPR's Daniel Zwerdling on the difficulty of getting firm information about the wounded quoted an Army spokesman as saying that approximately 9,000 GIs have been evacuated as of December, 2003.

Real Audio / Windows Media Player Link

Measuring Costs of Iraq War

http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/segment.jhtml?wfId=1587762

So we now know that a huge number of GIs have left the field, many of whom are surely permanently disabled, disfigured or otherwise damaged for life.

This is an ongoing story of immense proportions which further calls into question the long-term sustainability of the effort (*hyperpower* talk notwithstanding) and needs to be told as widely as possible.

DRM