[lbo-talk] Dick Cheney's Christmas Card -- For real!

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jan 8 10:06:53 PST 2004

Wasn't it Edward Gobbon, who in his *History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire* who characterized the Roman attitude towards religion as one where

"The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosophers as equally false; and by the magistrates as equally useful."

How does the American attitude differ from the Romans, except that Americans seem less tolerant of faiths outside of Christianity and Judaism?

Jim F.