[lbo-talk] Religious Right -- declining or increasing force in US politics?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jan 8 12:04:58 PST 2004

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> Hasn't Chip Berlet argued that while the political death
> of the religious right has been predicted many times,
> they far from disappearing from the political scene?
> I am not sure though that he would claim them to
> be an increasing force in US politics though.

I've been arguing for the past two years that the religious right has lost the culture wars and is in decline. Thomas Frank had some good explanations for this in his book. One of my theories is that Internet porn helped undermine the male side of the movement. I'd also say that signs of religious right activity in the library world has pretty much dried up. They spent a lot of time fighting for filtering in libraries and experienced a bunch of setbacks until the watered-down filtering decision last year.

You could also point to the gay marriage issue as another sign that the religious right is on the ropes.

On the other hand, the more mundane varieties of religious ignroance and fundamentalism seem to be alive and well across America.

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog) -> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty