[lbo-talk] Howard Dean, freak show impresario

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Jan 8 12:10:33 PST 2004

---- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> I do not think anyone lost any money in the US by betting on human
> stupidity. Take the example of SUVs - these are one of the most
> dangerous vehicles on the road, yet the morons who buy them thing they
> are safer than other vehicles
> (http://www.newyorker.com/online/content/?040112on_onlineonly01), even
> though they are more likely to die driving an SUV than other types of
> cars or vans.

I read that article, too. However, I got the sense that SUVs are safer than most vehicles provided that one drives them sensibly--however, SUV drivers tend to harbor illusions of invulnerability, and hence end up getting in many more accidents than non-SUV drivers.

(Of course, SUVs are inevitably extremely hazardous to just about anyone driving something smaller--which seems grounds enough to me to ban them.)

-- Luke