[lbo-talk] Plane crashes and globalization

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 9 06:54:55 PST 2004

Following the recent crash of a plane owned by the shadowy Flash airline, and the revelation that the plane was banned from Swiss airspace because it was deemed unsafe, BBS posted a list of plane crashes in the last 6 years (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/2008892.stm)

What strikes me is the increasing number of air accidents during the past 4 years: 1998 - 4 accidents 1999 - 2 accidents 2000 - 7 accidents 2001 - 8 accidents (including 4 planes in 9/11 attack) 2002 - 10 accidents 2003 - 8 accidents

Most of these accidents involved charter flights and cheapo fly-by-night airlines operating in third world countries.

Could that be a result of air safety standards as a result of globalization? What I mean is "outsourcing" of air travel to reduce cost and bypass safety standards. Any comments? Jordan?

Wojtek