[lbo-talk] jobs

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jan 9 08:35:55 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> This morning's U.S. employment report showed a gain of 1,000 jobs in
> December, which sucks. Earlier estimates for October and November job
> growth were also marked down. Hourly earnings continued to be weak. The
> unemployment rate fell, but mainly because people seem to have dropped
> out of the labor force. I haven't torn apart the numbers yet, but on
> first glance, if there's any hidden strength below the headlines, it's
> very well hidden. December was the 25th month of an alleged recovery,
> but not for the U.S. working class.

So is it safe that there is no measure of underemployment? Like all of these people who worked retail during the Christmas season and are out of work right now? My sister works for department store chain. She's technically employed by the store right now, but they don't give her any hours after the holidays, except for store inventory today.

Chuck0