[lbo-talk] Keiretsu Capital

Jonathan Lassen jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org
Fri Jan 9 11:11:50 PST 2004

Well Japan Inc. certainly does burst our ideas of what private is, no? This is my favorite line from Locke's article:

"But the Japanese see [personal ownership] as wasteful, so their system is designed so that corporations, in essence, largely own themselves."

I would say that this in itself does not represent progress, or at best only a virtual progress. The progress is contained within its overcoming, mentioned by Grant and Jon: socialization, not uber corporatization.

Keiretsu in Japan also seem to be weighted down by the need to accumulate dead labor through the "rapacious, brutal and ecologically toxic" exploitation of everything living, even if their novel institutional arrangements (that is, their ensemble of spatial and temporal 'fixes') allow them to undertake more a 'rational' (from the standpoint of capital) symphony of Production with a big P. But if this is the future that is awaiting us after Mordor falls, please show me another path.

cheers,

jonathan