RES: [lbo-talk] Stupid question

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Fri Jan 9 15:28:29 PST 2004

Doug wrote

The jobs count comes from a survey of employers, and the unemployment rate froma survey of households, so they're not strictly comparable. But the reason the U rate declined is that the jobless dropped out of the labor force. The number of people classed as "not in the labor force" rose by 538,000.

-Is this procedure standard for every country? I Brazil we changed the calculation of unemployment and our jobless rate jumped to 11% from 7,5%. I don´t know what were exactly the changes made, but one aspect that were criticized in our methodology was that you´re mentioning (people who gave up searching for a job are withdrawn from the workforce)

Alexandre