[lbo-talk] RE: God talk

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Jan 10 06:40:47 PST 2004

On Friday, January 9, 2004, at 02:33 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It is difficult because it simply isn't true except in the most trivial
> or tautological ways. Worrying about the relationships of genetics and
> psychology simply diverts mental activity to dead end research. And
> moreover, those "ways" are almost always reactionary ways.

Well, I'm not so sure. Yes, up to now, the pronouncements in this field (which are of course mostly hot air, since very little hard conclusions relating genes to anything in the human make-up have been reached so far) have been mostly reactionary, probably because it's historically been the reactionaries who have been hot to "racialize" everything. But unless we assume that psychology has nothing to do with biology, there should be *some* connections between genetics and psychology. I'm not holding my breath waiting for solid research reports, though.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "In an ideal world, people would be preoccupied with reading and writing poetry and having love affairs, as people were in the Japanese court in the 11th century, as described in 'The Tale of Genji.' If people were involved in that type of life, maybe there would be no war." -- Wallace Shawn