[lbo-talk] Dean: down the toilet in search of votes

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Jan 10 07:14:01 PST 2004

Looking at William Saletan's summary of Dean's performance in the recent NPR debate, I see that the good doctor:

* stated that "we are not going to give the United Nations veto power over our foreign policy," after proclaiming on Dec. 15, "Had the United Nations given us permission and asked us to be a part of a multilateral force, I would not have hesitated to go into Iraq, but that was not the case." There's your anti-war candidate for you. * Promised not to cut the Pentagon budget. * On taxes, opined that "We cannot keep telling people we're going to give them all the programs they want and then there's not going to be any sacrifice." I.e., ordinary wage earners need to pay for their own damn programs -- I'll repeal Bush's tax cuts for everyone, but won't make the tax a whit more progressive. (When is a candidate going to just tell the American people how the tax system actually works for a change?)

Coupled with his recent getting of religion, it is clearer and clearer that the "lesser evil" is inching ever closer to the "greater evil." I would still recommend voting for anyone, even old Howard, to get rid of Bush, but I'm holding my nose more and more tightly.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "In an ideal world, people would be preoccupied with reading and writing poetry and having love affairs, as people were in the Japanese court in the 11th century, as described in 'The Tale of Genji.' If people were involved in that type of life, maybe there would be no war." -- Wallace Shawn