[lbo-talk] Keiretsu Capital

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 10 13:53:16 PST 2004

From: <dredmond at efn.org>

> Oh, I was quoting from Tolkien -- the Third Age is the Age of the Rings.
Peter
> Jackson did an amazing job with that series -- turned Tolkien's
conservativizing
> parable into New Zealand postcolonial fiction (the hobbits are really
Maoris).

Maybe, in the sense that LoR shares with postcolonalism the displacement of (economic) class consciousness by an overemphasis on ethnicity (or species in LoR); at least Tolkein and Jackson have the excuse that they are dealing with fantasy, whereas IMO most postcolonial stuff appears to be mystification by/of nascent ethnic bourgeoisies.